Guidelines on the Establishment of a W.A.T.C.H. School
September 18, 2009
DepEd Memorandum No. 410, s. 2009
GUIDELINES ON THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A W.A.T.C.H. SCHOOL (We Advocate Time Consciousness and Honesty)
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
1. To strengthen the values of punctuality and honesty among the DepED officials and employees, this Department has issued DepED Memorandum Nos. 160 and 387, s. 2008 as a significant step in bringing about fundamental change or societal transformation.
2. In support of the said strengthening, a National Summit on W.A.T.C.H. (We Advocate Time Consciousness and Honesty) was held on May 20-23, 2009 in Teachers Camp, Baguio City. This was participated in by DepED regional, division, and school officials and teachers, corporate individuals, and other government and private education stakeholders.
3. Relative to this, Her Excellency President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo issued Presidential Proclamation No. 1782 dated May 21, 2009 entitled “Declaring the Month of June as W.A.T.C.H. Month and Enjoining All Schools, Colleges, Universities, and Local Government Units (LGUs) to Undertake Programs of Activities Relating Thereto Every Second Week of June”. Its major goal is to push forward the recognition of punctuality and honesty as two core values in promoting national renewal and development.
4. To attain this goal, school heads are encouraged to organize W.A.T.C.H. Clubs and to establish W.A.T.C.H. Schools nationwide that will serve as center of excellence in the renewal commitment towards consciousness on punctuality and honesty. The JCI Senate of the Philippines will spearhead the campaign for advocacy in coordination with the DepED, Commission on Higher Education (CHED), Technical Education Skills Development Authority (TESDA), Philippine Association of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAPSCU), Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities (PACU), and Office of the President.
5. For the guidance of principals/schools heads, enclosed are the Guidelines on the Establishment of a W.A.T.C.H. School (Enclosure No. 1) and the Entry Form for the National Search for W.A.T.C.H. School (Enclosure No. 2). These guidelines were validated by selected school heads/principals during the said summit.
7. To ensure the successful implementation of the project, all concerned are required to send their report on W.A.T.C.H. Club and the entry form for W.A.T.C.H. Schools to:
JONATHAN E. MALAYA
Special Projects and Legislative Liaison
c/o Ms. Luzviminda F. Dela Rosa
Head, Special Events Unit
505 Bonifacio Bldg., DepED Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City
8. For more details, please contact the DepED-Special Events Unit (SEU) at tel. nos.: (02) 637-5832 and (02) 637-5834 and mobile phone nos.: 0919-5164759, 0927-2204951 and 0928-6075533.
9. Immediate and wide dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
JESLI A. LAPUS
(Enclosure No. 1 to DepED Memorandum No. 410, s. 2009)
Guidelines on the Establishment of a WATCH School
Advocacy for time consciousness and honesty is a significant campaign for core development of individuals. If everyone is punctual and honest there will be a concomitant valuing for self respect and for respecting others’ time. These values cannot be taught but they can be caught by simply modeling the practice and making it a habit. Awareness of the benefits we can derive from being a WATCH implementer is basically the end goal in establishing a WATCH School.
- To know and understand the value of punctuality in the context of the development of a better Filipino character;
- To cherish and value punctuality as an integral part of a true Filipino; and
- To identify concrete strategies that will assist an individual in the actualization of the value of punctuality and honesty in one’s life.
a. The School
i. Any type of elementary and secondary public and private school can establish. The school may either be:
ii. Schools’ Readiness
2. Teachers: Teaching and non-teaching
3. Resource materials
4. Any religion/sect
b. Curriculum and Instruction
i. The concept/programs particularly the goals and objectives are part of the subjects where there is point of entry, specifically in Values Education/GMRC and Technology and Home Economics.
ii. Updates, information campaign in School Bulletin Board found in distinct places of the campuses.
iii. School Paper with special column regularly featuring students, teachers, non-teaching personnel who are exemplifying Time Consciousness and Honesty.
iv. Involve other sectors such as the local media, religious groups and the local government units.
i. School administrators will include WATCH program in the INSET and regular monthly meeting;
ii. Continuous orientation involving the Parent-Teacher-Community Association (PTCA) and the Student Government Organization (SGO);
iii. Conduct seminar-workshop to annexes of the mother school for multiplier effect;
iv. Attending regional and divisional forum on time consciousness and honesty; and
v. Formation of core trainers.
d. Campaign for Advocacy
i. Coordinate with the government organizations (GO’s) and nongovernment organizations (NGO’s) resourcing participation to or in attending seminars and workshops on WATCH.
ii. Collaboration with the division offices and regional implementers;
iii. Attending community assemblies conducted by LGU’s in Baranggay’s where the school is located;
iv. Organizing a core group of trainers ready to deliver the program in special groups in need of the program;
v. Conduct of contest (oration, debate, essay, etc); and
vi. Organization of WATCH Clubs under the auspices and advisory of the Values Education Head or Coordinator.
e. Monitoring and Evaluation
i. Monthly monitoring
ii. Quarterly reporting
iii. Awarding of outstanding individual every graduation and or recognition day.
1. An instrument guided by the guidelines shall be developed.
2. Guidelines in the selection of the outstanding school implementer shall be based on the guidelines. Corresponding points shall be allocated.