Assistant Secretaries Bureau Directors
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools All Others Concerned
- In support to the government’s efforts to mitigate climate change and global warming, the Department of Education (DepEd) in partnership with the De La Salle University (DLSU) through the One Million Trees and Beyond (OMTB) Project and, in collaboration with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), embarks into a National Tree Planting Activity with the theme Tayo Para sa Edukasyon, Tayo Para sa Kalikasan.
- The tree planting activity shall be held on November ‘ll, 2015 to culminate the National Environment Awareness Month, which is celebrated every month of November of every year pursuant to Republic Act No. 9152 entitled National Environmental Awareness and Education Act of 2008. This undertaking is also in support of the Executive Order (EO) No. 26, s. 2011 entitled Declaring Interdepartmental Convergence Initiative for a National Greening Program.
- The participants to this activity are Grades 5-10 learners in all public elementary and secondary schools, teachers, including ALS mobile teachers, non¬teaching personnel, and officials from the central, regional and schools division offices. It is emphasized that a parental consent shall be secured by each learner before joining the activity. Employees who are not physically fit are exempted from joining.
- All regional and schools division coordinators of the National Greening Program (NGP) are enjoined to coordinate this activity with the Provincial/City/Municipal Environment and Natural Resources Officers for the provision of seedlings/saplings and identification of planting sites. Enclosed is a copy of the guidelines on the conduct of the National Tree Planting Activity for the information and guidance of all concerned.
- The regional directors and schools division superintendents are expected to take the lead in conducting the activity in their respective areas of jurisdiction. Expenses to be incurred relative to the conduct of this activity shall be charged to local funds subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
- The accomplishment reports with pictorials shall be submitted to the Health and Nutrition Center, Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office, 4th Floor Dorm E, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City or through email [email protected] following the enclosed template.
- Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
GUIDELINES ON THE NATIONAL TREE PLANTING ACTIVITY
- Who will be involved?
- Participants in this activity are Grades 5-10 learners, teachers (including ALS mobile teachers), non-teaching personnel and officials at the central regional and division offices. It is emphasized that a parental consent shall be secured by each student before joining the activity.
- Where will planting materials be sourced from?
- Schools/offices may coordinate with the Provincial/City/Municipal Environment and Natural Resources Officers (PENRO/CENRO/MENRO) for the provisions of seedlings/saplings
- Seedlings/saplings sourced out from P/C/MENROs may be augmented by seedlings produced from the school nurseries.
- Where will the trees be planted?
- Tree planting shall be done preferably in school sites and urban parks to ensure 100% survival rate. The school may coordinate with PENRO/CENRO/MENRO for recommended planting areas that are safe and secured.
- Schools with no available spaces, e.g. NCR, may donate the seedlings/saplings produced in their schools to nearby regions/divisions.
- Schools located in coastal areas may opt to plant mangrove trees.
- How many trees should each participant plant?
- Each participant may plant at least 3 trees depending on the availability of planting materials.
- When and where will accomplishment reports be submitted?
- Schools and division offices are expected to submit a report using the attached form (NGP-TP Forml) prescribed by the DENR for all government tree planting activities. Accomplishment reports shall be submitted to the Health and Nutrition Center, 4/F Dorm E, DepEd Complex, Pasig City on or before November 30, 2015 through email at line oad 13 a \ acom.ph.
- Are there funds provided for the activity?
- Expenses that may be incurred relative to the activity shall be charged from local funds subject to the accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
- How sure are we that the children will be safe?
- In cases where the planting sites are outside the school compound or in the community, marshalls should be assigned to guide the students during the activity.
- It is also encouraged that a First Aid Team be organized to provide medical aid during emergencies. Students are advised to bring insect repellants.