March 15, 2016
DepEd Memorandum No. 41, s. 2016
SEARCH FOR THE OUTSTANDING BARKADA KONTRA DROGA IMPLEMENTERS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS FOR SCHOOL YEAR (SY) 2015-2016
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The Office of the President, through the Dangerous Drugs Board (DDB), in collaboration with the Department of Education (DepEd), through the School Health Division, Bureau of Learner Support Services (SHD, BLSS), will conduct the Search for the Outstanding Barkada Kontra Droga (BKD) Program Implementers in the Secondary Schools for School Year (SY) 2015-2016.
2. The Search aims to:
a. strengthen the National Drug Education Program (NDEP), through the BKD movement established in the schools;
b. develop skills and understanding among students, faculty and school administrators in initiating active responses for a drug-free school;
c. increase community awareness and participation; hence, maintaining a fully drug-free environment in the school, home, workplace, and community;
d. support and sustain the services in the Bar/cada-adopted concepts among educators, professionals, families, work forces, peer groups and other sectors; and
e. identify best practices of the different BKD Chapters, which will serve as models for other schools to implement.
3. All secondary schools, with an established BKD Chapter, are encouraged to join the Search.
4. Enclosed is a copy of the implementing guidelines for the Search.
5. For more information, all concerned may contact Ms. Teresita C. Pineda, Chief, Preventive Education, Training and Information Division, Dangerous Drugs Board (PETID, DDB) or Ms. Girlie G. Azurin, School Health Division, Bureau of Learner Support and Services (SHD, BLSS), Dorm E, 5th Floor, Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City.
6. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO FSC
(Enclosure to DepEd Memorandum No. 41, s. 2016)
SEARCH FOR OUTSTANDING “BARKADA KONTRA DROGA” (BKD) PROGRAM IMPLEMENTERS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS FOR SCHOOL YEAR 2015-2016
- The Office of the President through the Dangerous Drugs Board issued Board Regulation No. 5, Series of 2007, entitled “Institutionalizing the Barkada Kontra Droga Program.” This is in compliance with Section 77, Article IX of RA 9165, otherwise known as the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.
- A series of seminars including the launch was conducted as a preventive education and information program and has evolved into a nationwide “Barkadahan” concept—a collective action among students and youth in the community to strengthen camaraderie, collaboration, cooperation, solidarity and linkages in their commitment to a drug-free lifestyle.
- Alternative activities have been done after the launch of the program in the schools and in the community like poster/slogan contest, essay writing, among others.
- Encourage secondary schools to become more actively involved in empowering the youth in leading a healthy lifestyle that is drug-free and productive.
- Strengthen National Drug Education Program (NDEP) through the Barkada Kontra Droga (BKD) movement established in schools.
- Enhance skills and understanding among students, faculty and school administrators in initiating responses, increasing community awareness and participation in activities geared towards a drug-free school environment.
- Maintain a fully drug-free environment in the school, home, workplace and community.
- Support and sustain the services like counseling, referral and job placement in the “Barkada” adopted concepts among educators, professionals, families, workforces, peer groups and other sectors.
- Identify best practices of the different BKD Chapters which shall serve as model for other chapters to implement.
III. IMPLEMENTING RULES:
Who can participate
The Search for the Best BKD Chapter is open nationwide to all secondary schools with an established and functional BKD Chapter.
Period of Coverage
The Search will cover BKD activities conducted from June 2015 to June 2016 There will be three (3) levels of searches:
1. Division Level – The search will be conducted in April 2016 by the Division Evaluating Team. The winner at the respective Division level shall be submitted to the Regional Evaluating Team on or before April 29, 2016.
2. Regional Level – The search at the regional level will be done in June 2016 and the judged best entry in each region shall be submitted to the National Evaluation Team on or before July 29, 2016.
3. National Level – National Evaluation will be from August to October 2016 and will choose the three (3) Best BKD entries. The entries shall be ranked.
1. Functionality of the Program on Drug Abuse Prevention 10%
a. Activities/Timetable (10%)
2. Coverage and Scope of Implementation 20%
a. School-wide Implementation (10%)
b. Community involvement and partnership (10%)
3. Nature and Extent of Drug Abuse Prevention Activities/Projects 40% Initiated/Implemented/Organized (Indicate number and support with documents)
a. INFORMATION (10%)
(Use of Mass Media-Print, TV/ broadcast, films, slide presentation, exhibits, etc.)
b. EDUCATION (10%)
(Integration of drug abuse prevention concepts & BKD components in classroom instruction, organizing seminar-workshops on drug abuse prevention, launching of BKD, capability building, etc.)
c. INTERVENTION (10%)
(Provision of guidance and counseling services, peer counseling, referral services, etc.)
d. ALTERNATIVES (10%)
(Sports/Athletics, Cultural, Income-Generating Projects, Arts and Crafts, Religious, Civic & other recreational activities)
4. Extent of involvement of the ff. in terms of providing leadership and support in program implementation
a. Students (5%)
b. Teachers (5%)
c. School Administrators (4%)
d. Socio-civic/religious organizations (2%)
e. Government officials/agencies (2%)
f. Non-Government officials/agencies (2%)
Attainment of Objectives 5%
Monitoring and Evaluation Scheme 5%
Total – 100%
The Board of Judges shall be composed of noted individuals from the government and non-government sectors involved in drug abuse prevention and control at the regional and national levels. The decision of the Board of Judges shall be final and unappealable/irrevocable.
Awards and Prizes
There will be five (5) National Winners, to wit:
- 1st Prize – P 40,000.00 + Trophy
- 2nd Prize – 30,000.00 + Trophy
- 3rd Prize – 20,000.00 + Trophy
- 2 consolation prizes – 10,000.00 each + Trophy
Awarding Ceremony will be on the 3rd week of November, 2016 during the celebration of the Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Week.
Submission of Entries
All entries for the National Search should be submitted directly to the DepEd Central Office. Deadline of submission will be on or before July 29, 2016.
Participating schools are required to fill out an entry form for the Search.
Supporting documents should be properly endorsed by the School Authorities and should include evidence of the school’s BKD activities and programs: Memoranda, circulars, special orders Photos/videos of BKD activities and programs of the school Publications of drug-related activities and other pertinent documents.