Promotion of Learners Displaced by the Marawi Siege
April 2, 2018
DepEd Memorandum No. 061, s. 2018
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PROMOTION OF LEARNERS DISPLACED BY THE MARAWI SIEGE
Bureau and Service Directors
Regional Secretary, ARMM
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary School Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The Department of Education (DepEd) remains committed to ensuring that education continues for the learners who were displaced by the Marawi siege in 2017.
2. In recognition of the precarious circumstances that persist for many of these learners, the DepEd ensures that these learners continue to be accommodated in the basic education system with minimal disruption as they receive quality, accessible, and liberating education.
3. The basic learner’s profile and academic status for each learner in the DepEd are linked to their Learner Reference Number (LRN) stored in the Learner Information System (LIS). However, the system does not store detailed information on the learner’s grades, which serve as the basis for determining promotion/retention decisions. Owing to the destruction of data located in schools and other government facilities in Marawi, the permanent records of many learners are currently missing and will take time to be reconstructed.
4. In view of this, DepEd issues the following instructions:
a. For Grades 6, 10, and 12 learners, their academic performance for School Year (SY) 2017-2018 (as defined in Section V of DepEd Order (DO) No. 8, s. 2015) shall be used as basis for promotion to the next level. They shall be entitled to awards, honors, and other forms of recognition upon meeting the relevant qualifications stated in DO 36, s. 2016. Learners without LRNs shall be registered in the system and given LRNs.
b. For other grade levels, the following procedures shall be observed:
Learners with LRN
- Learners will be promoted based on their academic performance in SY 2017-2018 as defined in Section V of DepEd Order (DO) No. 8, s. 2015. They shall be entitled to awards, honors, and other forms of recognition if qualified (as per DO 36, s. 2016).
Learners without LRN
- Learners will be promoted based on their academic performance in SY 2017-2018 following the process defined in Section V of DO No. 8, s. 2015. They shall be entitled to awards, honors, and other forms of recognition upon meeting the relevant qualifications stated in DO 36, s. 2016.
- Class advisers shall prepare a supplemental report on promotion (SF-5) for this purpose. The SF-5 template is downloadable from deped.gov.ph and lis.deped.gov.ph.
In preparation for SY 2018-2019 and issuance of LRNs:
- Schools divisions hosting displaced learners shall consolidate the list of all displaced learners,
- Host schools divisions shall then request the certification of the Schools Division of Marawi City, stating that the learners listed in Enclosure No. 1 were previously studying in a school in the said schools division,
- The Office of the School Division Superintendent of Marawi City shall then issue certification upon verification of concerned school heads using the suggested certification format provided in Enclosure 2, and
- Learners shall provide a birth certificate or other equivalent documents as a prerequisite for the issuance of their LRNs per DO 22, s. 2012 and DO 3, s. 2018.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES