Social content refers to themes or topics for which the DepEd prescribes certain guidelines when these themes or topics are included or referred to in lessons in the learning resources. Among the themes or topics are those on the Filipino Learner and Teacher, The Filipino Nation and Philippine Society, Citizenship and Social Responsibility, Individuals and Social Identities, Social Institutions, Gender, Media, Technology, and Communication, Health and Safety, and Environment.
Learning resources that follow these guidelines avoid stereotypes and help develop in learners such desirable values as nationalism, justice, moral uprightness, inclusivity, understanding, and compassion among others. Through the concrete expression of such values, the DepEd’s core values are realized.
The following guidelines on social content are recommended for integration in learning resources:
The Filipino Learner
- Portray the learners as multi-faceted with physical, intellectual, and psychoemotional, spiritual and sociocultural traits.
- Highlight the dignity of learners and communicate respect for their rights.
- Uphold the learners’ unique values and principles that shape their way of thinking and dealing with others.
- Mirror the diversity of learners’ lived experiences, settings, and contexts.
- Depict learners as capable of constructing and reflecting on their own experiences and the experiences of others.
- Portray learners as active seekers of knowledge who rely on multiple sources of information and are able to think critically about that knowledge.
- Depict learners as having 21st century skills (information, media, and technology skills, learning and innovation skills, communication skills, life and career skills) who actively develop, take advantage of, and put such skills to good use.
- Nurture learners’ curiosity and creativity so they will develop into life-long learners.
The Filipino Nation and Philippine Society
- Depict national symbols and institutions in contexts that promote respect for their meanings.
- Foster a sense of justice and obedience to and respect for the Constitution and the law.
- Maximize the use of illustrations and photographs depicting the diversity of Philippine setting and environments (e.g., local communities, local objects, flora and fauna endemic to the Philippines).
- Highlight the diversity of Philippine cultural communities, including indigenous cultural communities (ICCs).
- Depict expression of PhiEppine cultures- technologies, inventions, games, dances, songs, Hterature, dress, food, festivals, celebrations, practices, customs, and others — guided by protocols for culture sensitivity such as DO 51, s. 2014 (Guidelines on the Conduct of Activities and Use of Materials Involving Aspects of Indigenous Peoples Culture).
- Show community settings that feature a mix of rural, sub-urban, and urban situations without stereotyping any of them.
- Refrain from giving importance and attention to popularized fads, transitory personages and events, and untested theories or views.
- Include foreign products, practices, and values only as needed and appropriate to the competencies being covered. When included, these foreign products must be featured in ways that do not prejudice Philippine products, practices, and values.
Citizenship and Social Responsibility
- Encourage participative and responsible citizenship (e.g., depicting individual initiative rather than overdependence on organized government, dole-outs, or foreign aid).
- Promote respect for the rights of children, elderly, persons with disability (PWDs), Indigenous Cultural Community (ICCs)/Indigenous Peoples (IPs), pregnant women, workers, and other vulnerable sectors of the society.
- Promote the observance of high ethical standards and codes of behavior in all aspects of the society.
- Foster attitudes of inclusivity, acceptance, understanding, and appreciation for diverse cultures, sectors, and groups in society.
- Depict contributions of individuals and ethnic, cultural, and religious groups that promote the common good of the community and the larger society.
- Feature role models who come from different places, historical periods, sociocultural contexts, genders, abilities, and ages. They must be of exceptional and acknowledged accompUshment or virtue regardless of their ethnic, cultural, or political origin or affiliation.
- Depict a person’s or a group’s accomplishments and virtues accurately and avoid sensationalizing or unduly extolling them.
- Avoid the depiction of physical, sexual, verbal, and mental abuse of adults and children as well as violent sports and entertainment.
- Avoid featuring or including situations and materials that encourage or rationalize crime, violence, and the mahgning of people.
Individuals and Social Identities
- Depict the diversity of individuals and their circumstances in society and promote sensitivity to and respect for the dignity and equal treatment of all. These may include PWD learners and their learning circumstances and learners in varied cultural and religious contexts among others.
- Avoid views or opinions that highlight stereotypes and encourage cultural, moral, and social insensitivities against particular social classes, gender groups, political affiliations, cultural or religious groups.
- Avoid inaccurate, unnecessary, or inappropriate portrayal of or reference to the physical appearance, cultural customs, social classes, symbols, observances, festivals, dress, names, or language of any ethnic group or nationality.
- Avoid sexist language, bias, prejudice, and stereotyping of various genders in the depiction of behaviors, home and family roles, professions, occupations, and contributions to society-
- Show respect for different family patterns (e.g., nuclear, extended, with a single parent, or with two parents, etc.).
- Promote responsible parenthood.
Religious / Faith groups
- Use religious references, symbols, celebrations, and language (in the text, illustrations, or photographs) free of bias and only when it is appropriate in relation to the subject matter.
- Ensure that any reference to a religious group is appropriate, accurate, and authentic in relation to the setting and/or period of history in which they are presented.
- Present and promote a balanced and just relationship between workers and managers in the depiction of their roles and responsibilities.
- Shows workers of various professions that contribute positively to the development or growth of their communities or of the country.
- Present public servants such as police officers, soldiers, and government officials as responsible, accountable, trustworthy, and working for the common good of the community.
- Avoid mentioning commercial brand names and corporate logos in text or showing them in illustrations or photographs. Instead, writers may invent or fabricate a brand in order to fulfill the purpose of the lesson without promoting real-life brand names and products.
- Avoid incorporating any form of commercial solicitation and advertising like promotional materials, chain letters, and pyramid schemes.
- Avoid differentiating, either explicitly or implicitly between the capability of males and females to contribute to the political, economic, or social well-being of Philippine society7 of the world.
- Maintain balance in the treatment of gender roles, occupations, and contributions in both text and nontext material.
- Depict gender and sexuality as an aspect of one’s personhood in positive ways.
- Portray gender and sexual diversity in a respectful manner using a rights-based approach.
Media, Technology, and Communication
- Portray ethical media practices.
- Demonstrate the importance of using different forms of media as a means for communication and expression of ideas.
- Highlight technological innovations as products of human ingenuity and as part of human development
- Depict responsible, safe, and secure use of information and communications technology (ICT).
- Promote positive and healthy attitudes towards ICT and its use.
Health and Safety
- Promote the physical and mental well-being of children and adults while applying gender sensitivity with regard to health concerns.
- Promote proper nutrition and avoid featuring junk food and their enjoyment
- Promote healthy and safety standards and precautions.
- Promote disaster-risk management and preparedness.
- Discourage the habitual use of tobacco and alcohol and the use of narcotics, restricted drugs, and other addictive substances.
- Portray a lifestyle that contributes toward reducing the impact of climate change.
- Portray efforts to conserve and care for the country’s natural resources and protect the wellbeing ofthe environment.
- Promote personal and community involvement in environmental management for sustainable development.
- Encourage humane treatment of and respect for all life forms.