July 14, 2017
DepEd Memorandum No. 116, s. 2017
OPERATIONAL GUIDELINES PENDING APPOINTMENT OF UNDERSECRETARY FOR CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION
Regional Secretary, ARMM
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Division Chiefs and Unit Heads
1. Dr. Dina S. Ocampo has tendered her resignation as Undersecretary in the Department of Education (DepEd). She has served as Undersecretary at the Department since 2013 under secondment from the University of the Philippines (UP). The undersigned has transmitted to the Office of the President her Letter of Resignation and recommended its acceptance effective July 1, 2017, on which date she rejoins the College of Education at UP.
2. DepEd expresses gratitude for the invaluable service that Dr. Ocampo has rendered to the Department and the country. She oversaw the transformation of the curriculum and instruction of DepEd to K to 12, which was a formidable task that she ably performed.
3. In the exercise of the responsibility under Book IV, Chapter 10, Section 46 of the Administrative Code of 1987, the undersigned has nominated to the President the appointment of Dr. Betsy Joy B. Tan as Undersecretary in DepEd.
4. Dr. Tan has the requisite training and experience in the substantive and management aspects of education. She is presently Vice President for Academic Affairs of Silliman University, a position she has held since 2005. Before becoming Vice President, she was Director of Instruction in 2002 and Dean of the College of Education in 1996. She is actively involved in curriculum development, especially for Senior High School. She also oversees the Alternative Learning System (ALS) program of Silliman University. Furthermore, she is recognized as a Quality Management Systems expert for academic institutions.
5. Pursuant to the Secretary’s authority of supervision and control over the bureaus, services and offices in the Department, and in the interest of the continuous and effective delivery of government services, as well as the urgency of many responsibilities and tasks, Dr. Tan is requested to report to the DepEd Central Office and coordinate with the following Bureaus and Services under Curriculum and Instruction, provided that any action she may make shall only be advisory in nature and subject to official action by the Secretary or her duly designated qualified officer:
a. Bureau of Curriculum Development
b. Bureau of Learning Delivery
c. Bureau of Education Assessment
d. Bureau of Learning Resources
e. National Educators Academy of the Philippines
4. This Memorandum modifies DepEd Memorandum No. 118, s. 2016 and DepEd Memorandum No. 166, s. 2016 in all relevant parts.
5. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES
- DM 115, s. 2017 – Observance of the National Indigenous Peoples Day and National Indigenous Peoples Month 2017
- DO 33, s. 2017 – Roles and Responsibilities of the Indigenous Peoples Education Focal Persons at the Regional and Schools Division Levels