2018 Brigada Eskwela Implementing Guidelines
April 11, 2018
DepEd Memorandum No. 66, s. 2018
2018 BRIGADA ESKWELA IMPLEMENTING GUIDELINES
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public Elementary and Secondary School Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The Department of Education (DepEd) will conduct the 2018 Brigada Eskwela from May 28 to June 2, 2018 with the theme Pagkakaisa Para sa Handa, Ligtas at Matatag na Paaralan Tungo sa Magandang Kinabukasan. The Brigada Eskwela is the National Schools Maintenance Week, that aims to brings together all education stakeholders to participate and contribute their time, effort, and resources to prepare public school facilities for the opening of the school year in June.
2. The national kick-off program shall be held on May 24, 2018 at a public school in General Santos City, Region XII as the host. Regional offices (ROs) and schools division offices (SDOs) shall hold a kick-off ceremony to launch the Brigada Eskwela in their respective areas on May 28, 2018.
3. All regional directors (RDs) and schools division superintendents (SDSs) shall mobilize their partnerships focal persons who are the Adopt-a-School Program/Brigada Eskwela coordinators to ensure the effective implementation of Brigada Eskwela in all public elementary and secondary schools and to ensure involvements of the community and local stakeholders.
4. School heads (SHs) shall take the lead role in planning the activities geared on making schools ecologically conscious, resilient, clean, and conducive to learning. Important reminders to SHs in the conduct of this acivity are indicated in Enclosure No. 1.
5. Individuals or groups from the national government agencies (NGAs), local government units (LGUs), private sector, international organizations and other parties, who or which are interested to help the schools and volunteers, may coodinate with the External Partnerships Service (EPS) of the DepEd Central Office, Education Support Services Division in the ROs, Social Mobilization and Networking Section under the Schools Governance and Operations Division in the SDOs and/or the school principal of the beneficiary school, for guidance.
6. All DepEd employees are encouraged to join the Brigada Eskwela acivities by offering their skills, sharing their time or providing their assistance in-kind and support to public schools near their residence. Interested employees are given two days to do volunteer work on official time, provided that such work is approved by their heads of offices.
7. Teaching personnel are entitled to earn vacation service credits arising from their active involvement in the Brigada Eskwela activity. A complete six-day participation in the maintenance effort shall give teachers a three-day service credit entitlement. For further details on granting service credits to teachers, please refer to DepEd Order No. 53, s. 2003 entitled Updated Guidelines on Grant of Vacation Service Credits to Teachers, particularly Item No. l.d Sub-item k.
8. Central office key officials are enjoined to participate in activities related to the implementation of Brigada Eskwela.
9. The schedule of activities for the 2018 Brigada Eskwela implementation is as follows:
|Pre-implementation Stage of Brigada Eskwela (Assessment of Physical Facilities and Maintenance Needs of the Schools, Resource Mobilization, Organization of Brigada Eskwela Committees and their Orientation on Specific Roles and Tasks, among other activities)||January 2 to May 11, 2018|
|Brigada Eskwela National Kick-off Program and Caravan||May 24, 2018|
|Brigada Eskwela Regional and Schools Division Kick-off Program and Caravan||May 28, 2018|
|Brigada Eskwela Implementation and Monitoring of Schools||May 28 to June 2, 2018|
|Submission of Consolidated Brigada Eskwela Accomplishment Reports by the Regional Coordinators to the External Partnerships Service||July 30, 2018|
|Regional Selection and Deliberation of Brigada Eskwela Awards Candidates||July 2 to August 3, 2018|
|Submission of Final List of School Candidates as Brigada Eskwela National Awardees to External Partnerships Service, including the submission of rating sheets reflecting the ranks and scores of the awardee -candidates||On or before August 31, 2018|
|Conduct of Brigada Eskwela Regional Awarding Ceremony||Within October 2018|
|Conduct of Brigada Eskwela National Awarding Ceremony||Within November 2018|
10. To implement the selection process in the Search for Brigada Eskwela Best Implementing Schools effectively, DepEd hereby issues a set of criteria, and details of which are provided in Enclosure No. 2.
11. The school principal and school coordinator of the Brigada Eskwela Best Implementing Schools shall receive a certificate of recognition, which they can present when they apply for promotion, based on the existing hiring and promotion guidelines.
12. The SHs shall make the Brigada Eskwela program not just a tool for improving school facilities but also as a catalyst for achieving a higher learning outcome for the school. Brigada Eskwela Plus will be the mechanism to elevate the level of awareness and participation of education stakeholders in improving the quality of education. The implementation of Brigada Eskwela Plus will focus on the following three key activities:
a. School maintenance activities throughout the school year,
b. Community-led effort to improve student participation and reduce dropouts or to enroll the learners in the Alternative Learning System (ALS), and
c. Community-led effort to improve student performance.
13. All Brigada Eskwela Hall of Fame Awardees shall implement innovative and community-led efforts to improve student participation and performance. The best practices on the implementation of a year-long Brigada Eskwela Plus shall be used as inputs in crafting the operations manual of the Brigada Eskwela Plus.
14. Among the Hall of Fame Awardees, each region will select one Brigada Eskwela Plus Most Sustained School Award. The details of which shall be contained in a separate issuance.
15. For more information, contact Mr. Roily V. Soriano, External Partnerships Service, Ground Floor, Teodora Alonzo Bldg., Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City at telephone nos.: (02) 638-8637, (02) 638-8639, (02) 635-9996, or email at [email protected]
16. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES
REMINDERS FOR SCHOOL HEADS IN THE IMPLEMENTATION OF 2018 BRIGADA ESKWELA
1. Brigada Eskwela espouses the spirit of volunteerism. Taking part in the school repair and other maintenance work is not mandatory nor requisite for parents to enable their children to be accommodated in the school.
2. No Brigada Eskwela fee shall be solicited from volunteers.
3. While the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) members are welcome to participate in Brigada Eskwela, carrying guns and firearms must be prohibited inside the school premises. Likewise, AFP members as volunteers shall be advised to wear Type C uniform, civilian or work clothes, instead of wearing military Type A uniform during the school maintenance activity.
For further details on engagement of AFP members in school activities, please refer to DepEd Memorandum No. 221 s. 2013 entitled “On Guidelines on the Protection of Children During Armed Conflict.”
4. In the performance of the key role in operationalizing this year’s Brigada Eskwela in relation to the theme, principals or school heads are expected to consider the following materials:
a) School Safety and Preparedness Guide (Annex A of Enclosure No. 1)
b) Stakeholder Engagement Strategy (Annex B of Enclosure No. 1)
c) Kit’s Menu (Annex C of Enclosure No. 1)
d) WASH in Schools Activities
5. Receiving assistance or support from companies and other players in the tobacco industry for Brigada Eskwela is not allowed, pursuant to DepEd Order No 6. s. 2012 entitled “Guidelines on the Adoption and Implementation of Public Health Policies on Tobacco Control and Protection Against Tobacco Industry Interference”.
- 2018 Brigada Eskwela Best Implementing Schools Award
- WASH in Schools during Brigada Eskwela
- 2018 Brigada Eskwela School Safety and Preparedness Guide
- Brigada Eskwela Stakeholder Engagement Strategy
- Brigada Eskwela Sample Request Letter and Solicitation Letter
2018 Brigada Eskwela Kits’ Menu