Enclosed is a Memorandum from Usec. Diosdado M. San Antonio, Undersecretary for Curriculum and Instruction, re Reiterating the Age Qualification of Kindergarten Learners as Provided for in DepEd Order No. 20, S. 2018 and Guidelines on the Administration of the Philippine Early Childhood Development (ECD) Assessment Checklist for School Year (SY) 2020-2021 in Light of COVID-19 Pandemic.
Table of Contents
Reiterating the Age Qualification of Kindergarten Learners as Provided for in DepEd Order No. 20, S. 2018 and Guidelines on the Administration of the Philippine Early Childhood Development (ECD) Assessment Checklist for School Year (SY) 2020-2021 in Light of COVID-19 Pandemic
Pursuant to the provisions of DepEd Order No. 007, s. 2020 entitled “School Calendar and Activities for School Year 2020-202“ and in compliance with the Omnibus Guidelines on the Implementation of Community Quarantine in the Philippines issued by the Inter-Agency Task Force for Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF), this Office reiterates the age qualification of Kindergarten learners as provided for in DepEd Order No. 20. s, 2018, and issues the guidelines on the administration of the Philippine Early Childhood Development (ECD) Assessment Checklist for School Year (SY) 2020-2021 in light of COVID-19pandemic.
Age Qualification of Kindergarten Learners in Public and Private Schools
All regional directors, schools division superintendents, school heads of both public and private schools shall adhere to the existing guidelines as stipulated in DepEd Order No. 20, s. 2018 stated below:
Age qualification for Kindergarten learners in both public and private schools should be five (5) years old by June 1 of every calendar year. However, the school may consider learners entering Kindergarten who will turn five (5) years old by the end of August on the condition that the Philippine Early Childhood Development (ECD) Checklist must be administered to the learner prior to the start of the opening of the school year, to ensure that the learner is capable of meeting the expectations of the grade level. Parents may provide documentation and/or certification of the learner s previous Early Childhood Education (ECE) experiences (i.e., preschool, daycare, pre-Kindergarten) in addition to the results of the Philippine ECD Checklist.
For schools commencing their school year beyond June, the requirement that Kindergarten learners should be five (5) years old by June 1 and the extension period ending on August 31 shall be adjusted. For schools commencing their school year in July, Kindergarten learners should be five (5) years old by July 1 and the extension period shall be until September 30. For schools commencing their school year in August, Kindergarten learners should be five (5) years old by August 1 and the extension period shall be until October 31.”
On Administration of ECD Assessment Checklist
1. Schools shall continue to use the ECD Assessment Checklist (Enclosure 1) as the main tool for monitoring developmental milestones among kindergarten learners. This will serve as a basis for planning and implementing interventions to address risks of developmental delays and boost growth and development among kindergarten learners.
2. For learners, who have attended early learning prior to enrolling in Kindergarten (i.e. daycare/child development centers, private preschools), their ECD checklist result, if available, shall be provided to the Kindergarten teacher during the Balik Eskwela or registration period in June 2020.
3. For learners without daycare/child development or preschool experience and/or do not have the results of the ECD Assessment Checklist prior to enrolling in Kindergarten, schools are enjoined to orient parents on the use of the Core Developmental Milestone (Enclosure No. 2) during Brigada Eskwela or registration period in June 2020. This is a simple tool that can be used by parents in identifying red flags for developmental delays in motor, self-help, language, cognitive, and socio-emotional domains among 5-year old children. Parents will then be requested to report to the Kindergarten teacher if there are tasks that their children are not able to do. This will serve as a preliminary basis in preparing the plan of interventions prior to the opening of classes.
4. The ECD assessment checklist shall be administered by the Kindergarten teacher not earlier than two (2) weeks after the opening of the school year in August 24, 2020 or at appropriate time when the child has already established rapport with the teacher and/or with others who will be involved in the assessment. The standard procedure in the administration shall be followed by all concerned in order to gather reliable and valid data. However, if the administration of the Kindergarten teacher is not feasible, parents or guardians can answer the checklist through observation of their child’s skills using the Filipino version of the checklist. Parents, guardians, and community workers/volunteers who will be engaged in the assessment process shall be oriented in this regard.
5. The school may adopt the following suggested delivery options depending on the local COVID-19 risk severity classification of the area, but not limited to:
a. In Areas where Physical Classes are not Allowed
Trained parents, guardians, or adults assigned by the learner’s parent shall conduct the assessment at home.
The teacher/trained community worker/volunteer may conduct the “at Home assessment” based on agreed schedules with parents.
b. In Areas where Physical Classes are Allowed
The teacher may conduct a face-to-face assessment with the learner in school.
Where face-to-face administration of the ECD is adopted, health and social/physical distancing protocols of the Department of Health (DOH) and LATF shall be strictly observed.
6. If conducted by the trained parents, guardian, or adult assigned by the learner’s parent or trained community worker/volunteer, the result of the assessment shall be submitted to the teacher in any means that is feasible in the context of the area. There is no overall score interpretation of “pass or failed” in the ECD assessment. The report shall serve as the initial assessment of the child as one of the bases in planning and implementing appropriate interventions for Kindergarten learners, monitor progress, and refer learners at risk of developmental delays (i.e. those who need to be monitored in the next 3 and 6 months) for further assessment by a specialist and/or provision of specialized intervention/s. The teacher shall then provide suggested activities that parents/guardians can use at home to address the risk of developmental delays and boost the growth and development of their children.
7. All teachers are required to submit a summary of the results of ECD Assessment to the School Head. The schools in coordination with the division/region are advised to plan strategic mechanisms taking into account the diverse local context and safety of the learner, parents, and the community.
8. The regions and SDOs shall continuously conduct close monitoring and evaluation on the implementation of the specific provisions to ensure timely and effective delivery of Kindergarten education services.
For compliance, information, and guidance.
DepEd Memorandum on Age Qualification of Kindergarten Learners in Public and Private Schools
Philippine Early Childhood Development (Phil. ECD) Checklist
Ang Philippine Early Childhood Development (Phil. ECD) Checklist ay dinisenyo para magamit ng mga guro, mga naglilingkod para sa pag-unlad ng mga mag-aaral sa mga daycare, mga tagapag-alaga, at mga magulang. Sa pamamagitan nito, matutukoy kung sapat ba o nasa pagkaantala ang pag-unlad ng bata.
Ang tseklis naito ay HINDI inilaan upang magamit sa sumusunod: 1) paggaw ang isang medikal na pagsusuri; 2) pagtukoy sa intelligence quotient (IQ) ng isang bata; o sa 3) pagsukat sa akademikong pagtamo. Ito ay una lamang sa napakaraming hakbang para sa proseso ng komprehensibong pagsusuri sa bata. Sa gayon, ang mga batang matutukoy na may pagkaantala sa kaniyang pag-unlad ay maagap na matutugunan sa kaniyang pangangailangan.
Ang tseklis na ito ay para sa mga batang may edad na tatlo taong gulang at isang buwan hanggang limang taon at 11 na buwan. Ang mga aytem sa tseklis ay nahahati sa pitong mga doma/n: 1) gross motor, 2) fine motor, 3) self-help, 4) receptive language, 5) expressive language, 6) cognitive, at 7) socio-emotional.
Gagamitin ito para sa mga mag-aaral ng Kindergarten ng Kagawaran ng Edukasyon.
Ang mga aytem sa tseklis ay maaaring na oobserbahan na ninyo sa pang-araw-araw na gawain ng inyong mga anak. Kung hindi pa ninyo nakikita o na oobserbahan, maaari ninyong subukang ipagawasa kanila.
Lagyanng tsek (/) ang angkop na hanay kung ito ay kayang gawin o hindi pa kayang gawin.