Attached is a copy of DepEd Memorandum No. 173, s. 2019 dated November 22, 2019, from Secretary Leonor Magtolis Briones, DepEd-Central Office entitled “HAMON: BAWAT BATA BUMABASA (3Bs Initiative)”, the contents of which are self-explanatory, for information and strict compliance.
November 22, 2019
DepEd Memorandum No. 173, s. 2019
HAMON: BAWAT BATA BUMABASA (3Bs Initiative)
Bureau and Service Directors
Minister, Basic, Higher and Technical Education, BARMM
Schools Division Superintendents
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
1. In support of the implementation of the K to 12 Basic Education Program, the Department of Education (DepEd) is continuously fulfilling its mandate to produce productive and responsible citizens equipped with essential competencies and skills for lifelong learning. To make every learner a proficient reader, schools across the country are tasked to help learners develop their reading skills. However, such initiatives are still not enough based on the recent results of national assessments for student learning.
2. The overall results of the national assessments reveal the following:
a. There are still many early grade learners struggling to meet the learning standards in early language, literacy and numeracy.
b. Low achievement levels in English, Math, and Science appear to be caused by gaps in learners’ reading comprehension. This means that there are many low performing learners who could not comprehend (read and understand) Math and Science word problems that are written in English. Hence, they were unable to demonstrate their knowledge in these content areas.
c. Elementary and high school learners are still deficient in literacy skills both in languages and content areas, more so in reading.
3. In order to address the aforementioned gaps, there is a need to strengthen the reading proficiency of every learner and to nurture a culture of reading which is a requisite skill in all content areas.
4. To attain this goal, DepEd shall strengthen the Every Child A Reader Program (ECARP) with the following aims:
a. Equip learners with reading skills to make them proficient and independent readers in their grade level;
b. Capacitate teachers to become effective reading teachers; and
c. Nurture a culture of reading in schools, communities, and various levels of governance in DepEd-central office (CO), regional offices (ROs), and schools division offices (SDOs).
5. All offices at the CO, ROs, SDOs and school levels are strongly encouraged to respond to Hamon: Bawat Bata Bumabasa (3Bs Initiatives) by intensifying their advocacy for reading and by pledging commitment to make every learner a reader at his/her grade level.
6. Further, all offices at the CO, RO, SDOs and school levels are directed to align their priorities towards the promotion of the culture of reading as a key step in closing achievement gaps.
7. The funds and necessary expenses for reading literacy initiatives in every school shall be charged from the school’s Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses (MOOE). Financial assistance from local government units, Parents and Teachers Associations and other nongovernment organizations may also be utilized to augment this initiative.
8. Teachers involved in implementing reading interventions beyond their six-hour actual teaching loads shall be granted service credits equivalent to one day for every six hours of accumulated services rendered.
9. The most effective 3Bs Initiatives shall be recognized and featured during the annual National Conference on Curriculum and Instruction.
10. The following documents are provided in the enclosure:
a. Enclosure No. 1 – Conceptual Consideration in Implementing the 3Bs Initiative,
b. Enclosure No. 2 – Criteria in Selecting Most Effective 3Bs Initiative,
c. Enclosure No. 3 – Template for Entries to the Search for Most Effective 3Bs Implementers, and
d. Enclosure No. 4 – Important Dates to Remember.
11. For more information, please contact the Bureau of Learning Delivery-Teaching and Learning Division, 4th Floor Bonifacio Building, Department of Education Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City through email at [email protected] or telephone no. (02) 8638-4799.
12. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES
DepEd Bawat Bata Bumabasa (3Bs Initiative)