REITERATING THE DEPARTMENT’S POLICY ON POLITICAL NEUTRALITY AND MAINTAINING OUR OFFICES AND SCHOOLS AS NEUTRAL ZONES
1. In view of the forthcoming Presidential, National and Local Elections, all teaching, non-teaching and teaching-related personnel are warned to refrain from engaging in partisan political activities or promoting any candidate or political party. Participation of government employees in partisan politics is prohibited under Republic Act 6713 (Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees) and the Local Government Code.
2. Political Neutrality is a norm (under RA 6713) that must be observed at all times emphasizing that “public officials and employees shall provide service to everyone without unfair discrimination and regardless of party affiliation or preference”. Violations of this norm pertaining to election guidelines include but not limited to:
- Openly campaigning for a candidate or party (including Party List) by discussing the credentials, qualifications and platforms of particular candidate(s)/party;
- The use of power to influence voters to support a particular candidate;
- Use of public funds and government-owned equipment and facilities for any election campaign;
- Production, posting and distribution of election materials, especially in schools, office premises and even Facebook walls;
- Any election activity showing partiality and partisan politics.
3. Schools should be neutral zones. Similarly, our teachers should be non-partisan. And for the teachers who will serve as Board of Election Inspectorate (BEIs), they are mandated to ensure clean and honest elections.
4. Engaging in the aforementioned prohibited acts is considered as election offense, with violators facing imprisonment and perpetual disqualification to hold public office. DepED personnel found engaging in partisan politics will be charged at the administrative level.
5. For the compliance of all concerned.
- Year-End School Principals’ Clearance and Teachers’ Clearance Template
- Computation of Public Schools MOOE
- Pointers to Minimize Administrative Complaints Against Teachers and School Heads
- Local Absentee Voting for DepEd Teaching and Non-Teaching Personnel
- May 2016 Election Calendar of Activities and Prohibited Acts