Sports play a vital role in the development of our nation’s youth – not only on the physical aspect, but in their overall character-building as well. It is imperative that the youth look up to people who have achieved success in sports and emulate the good things these personalities possess.
With the recent accomplishments of our country’s delegates to the Tokyo Summer Olympics, particularly the medalists who made history and gave the Philippines its best Olympics showing ever, the youth for sure would be inspired with their experiences and stories.
To realize this, the Office of the Undersecretary for Administration (OUA) through the School Sports Division (SSD) and the Youth Formation Division (YFD) will organize an event that will give the opportunity for learners to meet and interact with Filipino sports idols and icons through the Sports Heroes Day.
This event shall form part of the several activities the Department of Education (DepEd) has lined up in anticipation of the opening of School Year (SY) 2021-2022.
Table of Contents
The Sports Heroes Day is a celebration of the achievements of Filipino athletes, particularly the medalists, in the recent 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.
This activity shall serve as a venue for young learners to meet and interact with sports champions in the likes of:
- weightlifter Hidilyn Diaz;
- boxers Nesthy Petecio, Carlo Paalam, and Eumir Marcial;
- gymnast Carlos Yulo;
- pole vaulter E.J. Obiena;
- skaterboarder Margielyn Didal; and
- paralympic swimmer Gary Bejino, among others.
These sports icons will share their experiences, struggles, sacrifices, and triumphs as an athlete, and provide inspiration to learners in emulating the good values and attitude that these champions possess as they rally them for the forthcoming opening of classes.
The Sports Heroes Day shall be conducted via virtual platforms on September 10, 2021, Friday from 2:00 to 04:00 p.m.
The objectives of the activity are as follows:
- To salute and pay homage to Filipino Olympians who represented and brought honor and glory to the country;
- To inspire learners to strive hard in reaching their goals and serve as role models to the youth;
- To heighten the enthusiasm of the learners in anticipation of the opening of classes; and
- To emphasize the importance of education alongside being exceptionally engaged in sports.
It is expected that approximately one (1) million learners from the 17 regions across the country will engage online to participate in this activity.
Participants will include:
- All Students with Internet Connectivity
- All MAPEH Teachers, Coaches and Principals
- All SPG/SSG Advisers
- All YES O School, Division and Regional Coordinators
- All School, Division, Regional Scouting Coordinators
- All Division and Regional Sports Coordinators
- All YFD Division and Regional Coordinators
The online event will be conducted via Zoom and will be streamed live on the official Facebook pages of DepEd and its divisions, School Sports Division (SSD), and Youth Formation Division, as follows: