The Learner Reference Number (LRN) is a permanent twelve (12) digit number which the pupil, student or learner shall keep while completing the basic education program, regardless of transfer to another school or learning center in the public or private sector, and promotion/moving up to the secondary level.
Learner Reference Number (LRN) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the Learner Reference Number (LRN)?
A unique and permanent 12 digit number assigned to anyone enrolled into the Philippine Basic Education system.
The Philippines national student identification number.
This applies regardless of the learner’s transfer to another school or learning center in the public or private sector, and promotion/moving up to the secondary level.
A learner has two or more LRN, what should the school do?
An issue of multiple LRN happens when the school or other schools created another LRN of a single learner who already had an existing LRN with different data sets. The data of these two or more LRNs pertaining to a single learner should be merged into one.
To resolve this, the school should fill out RF01 or Request Form 01 -Template for Reporting Multiple LRN. A birth certificate and Form 137/138 are also required if there are any discrepancies in data like birthdate, name, previous school enrolment., etc.
Send the RF01 to respective Division/Region. “School must submit the issues to the Division Office. Regional Office to filter, consolidate, endorse and encode issues in the online form.”
In case of multiple LRN, what LRN should prevail?
The oldest created LRN would prevail. The system can detect which LRN was created first.
A learner is a transferee from private school but still have unsettled account.
Can the private schools decline the transfer out request in LIS?
The private school should still confirm the transfer out request in LIS from the receiving school and thick the checkbox With Unsettled Account. This way, the private school can still track the learner in another school without hindering enrolment.
What is the age cut-off date for accepting Kindergarten enrollees?
For public schools, the learner must be 5 years old on or before August 31, 2019.
For private schools, the learner must be 5 years old on or before October 31, 2019. (As per DO 20, s 2018)
A learner’s LRN was found to be deactivated
(was probably disapproved by the DPO). Upon compliance of the requirements and enrolment, should the school create for another LRN for the said learner?
No, the school should request for the reactivation of the LRN by filling out RF 02 – Request Form 02 Template for Enrolment with Data Issues.
“School must submit the issues to the Division Office. Regional Office to filter, consolidate, endorse and encode issues in the online form.”
For LRN and enrolment, whose responsibility it is to deal with the LIS issues concerning the learner? Is it the parents or the school?
It is the school’s responsibility to resolve or escalate any LIS issues concerning a learner.
How to escalate LIS-BEIS Issue to the national ICTS-USD Helpdesk for data corrections and other technical concerns?
School must escalate the issue first to their respective Division. Divisions or Regions can log the issue to the ICTS-USD Ticketing System thru an online form accessible only to the Planning Officers. A system generated ticket number will be issued to the email provided.
What is the Learner Information System (LIS)?
The Learner Information System (LIS) IS an online facility that provides for the registration of learners enrolled in schools run or licensed by the Department of Education (DepEd) in the Philippines.
It is the national registry of all learners in Basic Education.
Learner Reference Number (LRN) Format for K-12 Learners
Learner Reference Number (LRN) Format for ALS Learners
DepEd Policies on Learner Reference Number (LRN)
- Only the following institutions are authorized to issue LRN to learner (DepEd Order No 52, s. 2016)
- Public schools
- Private schools licensed by DepEd
- ALS Community Learning Centers
- Every learner in the basic education system can posses only one permanent and perpetual LRN.
- The DepEd Central Office and the Regional Offices cannot issue LRN to new learners, and will not disclose an existing LRN.
- The learner receives their LRN immediately upon first entry to Kinder, Grade 1 (Kindergarten Catch-Up Education Program / KCEP), and ALS
- LRN issues to learners in Grade 1 (non-KCEP) to Grade 12 require approval from the Division Office through LIS.
- The claiming of LRN is free of charge.
Quick History of the Learner Information System (LIS)
|2011||DO 67 s. 2011||Buildup of Learner BD. All public schools called upon to submit master list of learners for SY 2011.|
|2012||DO 22 s. 2012||LRNs created for every public-school learner. Online database of learner from public school launched.|
|2013||DO 33 s. 2013||Online updating of learner via LIS|
|2014||DO 13 & 42 s. 2014||Full implementation of LIS|
|2015||DO 26 s. 2015||ALS and private schools|
|DO 48 s. 2015||Early registration for SHS|
|2016||DO 25 s. 2016||SHS enrollment in all public schools|
|DO 34 s. 2015||SHS enrollment in private schools|
Data in the Learner Information System (LIS)
- Basic personal data of the learner
- Enrollment history (formal and non-formal)
- Classes and class advisers (for formal)
- Learning facilitators (for ALS and Abot-Alam)
- Grades and evaluation results;
- Indication of benefits (4Ps, CCT, ESC, QVR)
- Health and nutritional status
Learner Information System (LIS) Users
The following must register and update their learners’ profile in the LIS (do 22 s. 2012, do 16 s. 2015, and DO 52 s. 2016)
- All public and private elementary and secondary schools
- State universities and colleges (SUC), local universities and colleges (LUC), and higher education institutions (HEI) offering elementary and secondary schools
- All programs under the Alternative Learning System (ALS, including Abot-Alam, whether DepEd-delivered, -procured, or -partnered)
LIS Functional Design
- Registry of all learners in the Philippines
- Enrollment Data
- Class Management
- Transfers/movement of Learners
- Learner Promotion/Graduation
- Alternative Learning System