Public Manifestation of DepEd’s Declaration of Schools as Zones of Peace
June 08, 2017
DepEd Memorandum No. 109, s. 2017
Public Manifestation of DepEd’s Declaration of Schools as Zones of Peace, as a Reiteration of DO 44, s. 2005
Schools Division Superintendents
Public Elementary and Secondary School Heads
All Others Concerned
1. Due to the recent incidents of violence and armed conflict in Marawi City and the bombings and firefights near schools in Mankayan Town in Benguet, both of which resulted in the disruption of classes, the Department deems it essential and timely to reiterate DO 44, s. 2015 or the Declaration of Schools as Zones of Peace, a copy of which is attached herewith.
2. In the case of Marawi City, where as much as 20,000 students are believed to be displaced, the Department has initiated interventions to accommodate these students by extending enrollment until the end of June, and waiving the usual documentary requirements. DepEd believes that education must never stop, and instead should continue for these children to provide them hope, and bring back a sense of normalcy.
3. Worldwide, schools are universally treated as neutral zones despite being in the middle of areas of intense armed conflict, and are free from the presence of armed combatants regardless of what side they are from. It is imperative that this point be stressed, and that our schools be accorded the same respect – that schools are places for learning, caring, and nurturing. A true second home for our students.
4. Apart from reiterating the aforementioned DO, DepEd is also initiating a Nationwide awareness campaign anchored on Schools as Zones of Peace.
In light of this, the following are instructed:
- All schools are instructed to post the official tarpaulin designs sized 3 by 8 feet (attached) declaring schools as Zones of Peace, at least on two on both sides of the school front gate, and on all other sides of or around the school to make the message prominent and noticeable;
- Division and Regional Offices should assist in the reproductioin of the aforementioned tarpaulins and ensure that all schools and offices have posted the said posters;
- The Department enjoins all personnel, stakeholders and the community as a whole to actively participate and/or establish peace building initiatives to ensure the safety of our learners, personnel, and schools; and
- Encourage partnership and parallel efforts with respective Local Government Units, Local Media, and other stakeholders to take part in the campaign.
5. Immediate dissemination of and compliance is directed.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES
Download Schools as Zone of Peace Tarpaulin
Click Here (Search Schools as Zone of Peace)