March 09, 2017
DepEd Memorandum No. 47, s. 2017
MORATORIUM ON DEPED EDUCATIONAL FIELD TRIPS AND OTHER SIMILAR ACTIVITIES
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
- As the primary institution mandated to ensure access to quality basic education, it is imperative for the Department of Education (DepEd) to look after the security and safety of its learners, especially in light of the tragic bus accident that claimed the lives of college students in Tanay, Rizal on February 20, 2017.
- Consequently, DepEd is currently conducting a review of policies relative to the conduct of educational field trips and other similar activities by public elementary and secondary schools. The review will cover alignment of field trips and other co-curricular activities with that of DepEd’s priorities; ensuring the security and safety of learners; and reinforcing the responsibilites and accountabilities not only of schools, but also of parents, and of other relevant government agencies and external partners.
- In line with this review, there shall be a moratorium, as guided by DepEd Order Nos. 56, s. 2001; 51, s’. 2002; and 52, s. 2003, on the conduct of educational field trips and other similar activities for all public elementary and secondary schools. This shall be observed until the review and revision of related policies have been finalized. All private schools are also encouraged to abide with the provision of this Memorandum if deemed necessary.
- While this moratorium is still in full effect, all DepEd regional, schools division and school officials, and personnel shall not endorse any plans, proposals, and intentions relative to the conduct of educational field trips.
- Schools where all arrangements have been set up, including approved permits and finalized contracts, for the conduct of educational field trips prior to this moratorium, may still proceed with the activity, provided that existing guidelines, especially on optimal safety and security measures, are strictly observed. Moreover, regional and schools division offices are enjoined to strictly monitor security and safety engagements with concerned partners and stakeholders.
- Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES
- 2017 National Observances and Commemorations, and Related Activities
- The Official Portrait of Sec. Leonor Magtolis-Briones
- Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) 2017