Guidelines on the Senior High School Career Guidance Program and Early Registration
1. The K to 12 Basic Education Program is a flagship program of the Department of Education (DepEd), which introduces the additional two (2) years of Senior High School (SHS) – Grades 11 and 12. Through the K to 12, learners are equipped to be holistically developed Filipinos with 21st Century Skills.
2. With the end view of the full implementation of SHS in SY 2016-2017, the DepEd shall ensure that all Grade 10 completers, including those who are outside the formal education system, are enrolled in the SHS. Furthermore, the DepEd, through the SHS CGP, shall assist SHS entrants in making informed decisions regarding their choice of track and promote awareness in the importance of choosing a track that suits their skills and interests that matches the available resources and needs of the society.
3. In view of the above, this Order aims to establish a set of guidelines for the conduct of the Senior High School Career Guidance Program and Early Registration in preparation for the full implementation of SHS in SY 2016-2017.
II. Scope of the Policy
4. This DepEd Order provides for the establishment of a policy that articulates a detailed set of guidelines for the DepEd offices, public and private schools, and other stakeholders in the conduct of the SHS CGRP and Early Registration in preparation for the full implementation of SHS in SY 2016-2017.
III. Policy Statement
5. The DepEd hereby establishes a policy that provides for a set of guidelines for the conduct of the SHS CGP and Early Registration in preparation for the full implementation of SHS in SY 2016 – 2017. Specifically, it shall:
a. assist Senior High School entrants in making informed decisions regarding their choice of SHS track;
b. promote awareness in the importance of choosing a track that suits their skills and interests that matches the available resources and needs of the society; and
c. ensure that all Senior High School entrants are registered in the SHS program in SY 2016-2017.
6. With the aim of assisting Grade 10 students, schools are required to conduct activities under the CGP. This program will promote awareness in the importance of choosing a career that suits their skills and interests that matches the available resources and needs of the society.
One of the activities in the CGP is the conduct of the Grade 10 Career Guidance Manual (Annex 1), which shall be delivered by the class adviser during the weekly Homeroom Guidance. This Grade 10 Career Guidance Manual contains three (3) modules: a) Embarking on a Journey of Self-Awareness; b) Examining the Destinations; and c) Charting Your Own Course. Also, a student primer containing important information regarding Senior High School and its tracks will be provided before the implementation of Module 2. This student primer must be distributed to all Grade 10 students/SHS entrants.
The Grade 10 Career Guidance Program and SHS Early Registration shall follow the timelines below:
|September 14-18, 2015||Conduct of Module 1|
|September 21-25, 2015||Conduct of Module 2, Session 1|
|September 28-October 2, 2015||Conduct of Module 2, Session 2|
|October 5-9, 2015||Conduct of Module 3|
|October 12-16, 2015||Career Guidance Week|
|October 17, 2015||Parent-Teacher Conference|
|October 19-23, 2015||Senior High School Early Registration|
During the Career Guidance Week, schools are encouraged to intensify the conduct of awareness campaigns, career fairs, and orientation activities on the Senior High School program. The SHS program shall also be discussed during the Parent-Teacher Conference and other meetings with the parents, teachers , local and barangay officials, civic organizations, and other stakeholders. During this period, an offline search facility shall be made accessible in the computer laboratories and terminals, wherein students and parents can browse through the menu of schools offering SHS as well as their respective program offerings.
The Schools Division Offices (SDOs) are also urged to observed a division-wide Career Guidance Week to cater to Grade 10 students enrolled in private schools, high school graduates prior to the full implementation of the K to 12 Program, passers of the Philippine Educational Placement Test (PEPT) and Accreditation and Equivalency (A&E) Examination for JHS Level, and other learners outside the formal system who opt to pursue Senior High School.
To back up the CGP, SDOs shall post the list of schools, which will offer the SHS program, in conspicuous places. The same list shall be posted on the website of the division. Likewise, schools shall also post their respective SHS program offerings as well as their absorptive capacity in front of the school premises.
Also, as indicated in the Module 2 of the Grade 10 Career Guidance Manual, School Division Superintendents (SDSs) must provide regional Labor Market Information to all the schools in their divisions to further help the students in choosing their tracks.
SDOs are encouraged to develop city/municipal SHS maps for teach and every city/municipality within the division. The city/municipality SHS map may be printed on tarpaulin for use as billboards in conspicuous public places, as part of brochures, handouts or other SHS advocacy materials, or even in local papers.
The City/Municipal SHS Map shall contain the following date/information:
a. All Senior High School providers in the area (both DepEd and non-DepEd)
b. All program (tracks and strands) offerings per SHS provider
c. Number of slots to be offered per program per SHS provider
d. Distances of the SHS providers from each other
The Central Office (CO) shall disseminate a manual for the development of SHS maps to ensure a uniform set of procedures for developing said maps.
The Regional Offices (ROs) shall fully support the school and division level campaigns.
7. The DepEd declates October 2015 as the SHS Early Registration Month for SY 2016-2017. The following are the objectives of the early registration:
- to ensure that all Junior High School (JHS) or Grade 10 completers by the end of SY 2015-2016 enter the SHS program;
- to encourage high school graduates and passers of PEPT and A&E Examination for JHS Level prior to the full implementation of K to 12 Program (i.e. SY 2016-2017) to enroll in the SHS Program; and
- gather relevant information about the Senior High School entrants that will help facilitate the optimal allocation of required resources such as classrooms, teachers, equipment, and facilities.
8. Upon culmination of the CGP, the SHS Early Registration shall be conducted from October 19-23, 2015. All Grade 10 students in SY 2015-2016 shall submit to their class adviser a duly accomplished SHS Preference Slip (Annex 2) containing their choice of schools and programs. It shall be expected that the student’s preferences were discussed with their parents.
The class adviser shall register their students through the Learner Information System (LIS). A detailed procedural guide for the submission of the student’ preferences in the LIS will be available for download in the LIS Help page by October 1, 2015.
High School graduates prior to the full implementation of the K to 12 Program, PEPT and A&E Test passers, and other learners outside the formal system, who opt to enter SHS, may register in any of the schools offerings SHS using the SHS Registration Form (Annex 3).
9. The school head shall ensure the accurate and timely submission of the required information in the LIS. He/she shall also consolidate and submit to the Division SHS Coordinator the registration forms of all SHS registrants who are not covered by the LIS, including summary of their choice of school and tracks using Annex 4. He/she shall ensure that the Senior High School Early Registration is culminated not later than October 23, 2015 and that all submissions are made not later than November 6, 2015.
Using a template to be disseminated to all SDOs by October 1, 2015, the Division SHS Coordinator shall prepare a summary of the result of the SHS Early Registration and submit to the RO for onward submission to the CO not later than November 20, 2015.
10. Expense related to the conduct of Senior High School Career Guidance Program and Early Registration shall be charged against funds to be downloaded to all SDOs. Other expenses in excess of the appropriated funds shall be charged against local funds, as appropriated, as authorized, and subject to existing accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
11. This policy shall take effect immediately after its publication in the DepEd Official website, Official Gazette or a newspaper of general publication. Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
Featured Photo by: Marilyn Castillote Resuello