TeacherPH emphasizes the proper utilization of educational facilities in schools as stipulated in the 2010 Educational Facilities Manual (Revised edition of the 2007 Handbook on Educational Facilities-Integrating Disaster Risk Reduction in School Construction).
All school officials/personnel are advised to adhere to the DepEd’s 2010 Educational Facilities Manual, Chapter V Sec. C “Proper Utilization of Educational Facilities in Schools,” which states that:
Educational facilities in the school shall be utilized appropriately. The use of the ground and facilities of the school other than for the school activities must be subject to the approval of the Schools Division/City Schools Superintendent. Among other public activities and utilization of the school grounds and facilities which may be permitted by the Schools Division Superintendent thru the principal/head teacher are as follows:
Proper Utilization of Educational Facilities in Schools
- Civil Service Examinations. Holding of civil service examinations is allowed in the classroom including the use of its furnishings and lighting facilities.
- Literacy Classes. Instruction of illiterates and other literacy activities may be held in the school.
- Polling Places. The use of school buildings for the meetings of election inspectors and as polling places for the election of national, provincial, city, municipal and barangay officials may be authorized.
- Religious Services/Instruction. Holding of religious activities for the benefit of pupils/students and barangay council and other sectoral groups and conduct of religious instructions maybe allowed provided such does not interfere with regular school activities.
- Community Program. Sectoral groups and Barangay Council may be allowed to use the school buildings, grounds and facilities for civic and educational activities.
- Evacuation Center. The use of school buildings/classrooms as evacuation centers is allowable in case of natural calamities. The utilization of school property and facilities shall always be under the strict authority and responsibility of the school administrator. In case there is a need to evacuate school personnel and students, the following are specific policies:
- DepED Officials and personnel shall be responsible for the evacuation of students/pupils, in case the school is threatened or in the hazard-stricken area, into safer place(s), and they continue to be responsible for the safety of the students/pupils until their custody has been taken over by the parents.
- DepED Officials may allow the use of the school as an evacuation center when there is no other safer place where the people from the community can take refuge and as a temporary holding center since there is no intent to permanently utilize the same as residence for the calamity victims.
- In case the school is used as an evacuation center, DepED Officials and personnel shall be responsible for the preservation of the school facilities and properties for the duration the school is being occupied by evacuees, so that after the emergency period the school can resume operation as soon as possible.
Chapter V, Sec. D of the 2010 Educational Facilities Manual stresses on the Illegal Utilization of School Facilities, which states that:
ILLEGAL UTILIZATION OF SCHOOL FACILITIES
Any illegal act or activity resulting from or related to, the utilization of the school property or facilities shall be the accountability of the school head. Article 20 of the Revised Penal Code prohibits and penalizes the illegal use of public funds and property.
- Personal Use of Educational Facilities. The use of school property for the personal convenience of an employee as his residence and not in connection with his official duties is illegal. Likewise, the use of school property for the furtherance of private interest is considered illegal.
- Squatters. No squatters shall be allowed on the school site. In cases where there are squatters within the school site, their ejection shall be done in a proper and legal manner.
Chapter V, Sec. E of the 2010 Educational Facilities Manual stresses on the Property Responsibility which states that:
All educational facilities procured/purchased by the Department or donated by LGUs/NGOs and private individuals shall be considered property of the recipient school. School Heads/Principals are responsible to the Schools Division/City Schools Superintendent for the educational facilities issued to them. In same manner, the Schools Division/City Schools Superintendents are likewise responsible to the Regional Director.
Care/Preservation and Safeguarding of Educational Facilities
- It is the duty of the school head/principal to enforce the rules on proper care of educational facilities such as:
- Provision of perimeter fence along boundaries of the school site with secured entrance and exit gates.
- Proper utilization of school buildings, including undertaking of minor repair and maintenance work.
- Cleanliness and orderliness of classrooms shall be maintained at all times.
- Proper use of desks/armchairs and other classroom furniture shall be strictly enforced by the teacher. Instructional tools/equipment and supplies such as computers, books, magazines, periodicals, journals, bulletins and other publications issued by the Department or procured from various sources shall be displayed and kept in safe shelves/storage areas.
Maintaining School Records on Facilities
The school shall have a file on facilities for ready reference. This is beneficial on the part of the school principal/ head for monitoring purposes. The following documents shall be placed in separate folder under the Physical Facilities MIS:
- School Site Ownership Documents
- School Site Development Plan
- School Site/Building Cards
- Inventory of all Facilities (General Form No. 13, s. 1992)
- School Furniture Record
- Instructional Tools, Apparatuses and Equipment
- Record of School Building Repair – Program of Works (POW)
- Record of School Building Construction – POW
- Receipts of Payments – Electrical, Water, Telephone
- Records of Fire Damage Reports (if any)
- Records of the Change of Name of the School
- Records of the Establishment of the School
- Records of Donated Properties
- File copy of DepED Orders, Memoranda regarding facilities
School activities that will be conducted during Saturdays and Sundays and those sponsored by private organizations must be approved by the Schools Division Superintendent.
The same rule applies also in the utilization of the facilities in the Division Office.
Any division/school personnel violating the said 2010 Educational Facilities Manual shall be dealt with administratively.